The director of preconstruction, will work closely with internal development and construction team to provide construction strategies , management and oversight for design requirements for mixed use residential and industrial construction projects through the various stages of evolution. Working closely with internal and external resources you will take a leadership role in the design management , design schedules and input in the development of subcontract packages, development or risk mitigation strategies and value engineering analysis.
• participate in all phases of project pursuit including rfq, rfp and project execution, and lead design development meetings with internal and external stakeholders throughout the rfp and execution phases.
• coordinates and integrates the activities of external design consultants, including assisting with the scope and fees of consultant contracts.
• identifies design and engineering constraints, assesses design alternatives, and makes recommendations to enable effective cost-effective design solutions.
• determines defines and monitors design schedules and deliverables, including development permit, phased building permit and tender packages
• identifies and manages opportunities and risks to achieve the best possible impact on schedule and financial targets
• participates in the analysis of bids, negotiations and awarding of contracts with subcontractors and suppliers
• assists in the management of change control during design development and construction document phases
• collaborates with project director, preconstruction team, building informational modelling (bim) specialist and other project members to review and evaluate best systems, materials and methods
• facilitates the project design considerations of the project quality program
• working with the development and construction team to provide hard construction cost estimates through the various stages of ideation, concept design and approvals
• lead budget review, scope management in production of complete cost estimates to manage all aspects of hard cost throughout the construction of the project.
• provides value alternative solutions taking into consideration cost, schedule, maintenance, and life cycle cost implications.
• fills in design gaps for incomplete documents for the completion of estimates.
• ensures estimating department has most current design information in the preparation of estimates.
• prepares qualifications and assumptions that align with the contractual requirements of the project.
• assists in the vendor and supplier prequalification process.
• prepares or oversees preparation of preconstruction schedule with buy-in from internal departments as relates to them.
• assists project team in design decisions and development of solutions.
• manages and maintains consistent deliverables in the approved format.
• manages all aspects of risk and defines such for the executive team.
• ensures we are adhering to contractual requirements and strategically meeting overall goals by understanding preconstruction and construction contracts and applying knowledge to assigned project.
• acts as team liaison between development, construction and design.
• maintaining knowledge of the market, in addition to current prices and fair rates for goods
• monitoring, reviewing and analyzing bids and quotes with suppliers, including the negotiation
• bachelor's degree in construction management, architecture or engineering
• 10+ years’ experience managing the design management process from inception to project handover on large complex projects
• experience with large ($50m+) residential and industrial projects
• proven experience managing preconstruction for large scale projects with emphasis on highly complex projects.
• in-depth knowledge of construction principles/practices required.
• experience dealing with subcontracts, subcontractors and/or self-perform work.
• experience leading successful team ventures, including development of employees and maintaining relationships with external entities and subcontractor community.
• self-starter. Highly motivated to bring results and success to the projects he/she leads.
• ability to build trust and influence others internally and externally.
• strong communication skills with ability to communicate to varied audiences.
• strong presentation skills.
The masculine gender is used without discrimination and for the sole purpose of lightening the text.
Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Bertone promotes the inclusion and diversity of its resources. we are committed to continuing to create an inclusive work environment. All application responses will be treated equally.